Monday, October 8, 2012

It's beginning to look a lot like NaNo...


24 days and counting. 24 days until a non-stop roller coaster ride of fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants plots, clumsy characterizations, and papier mache scene descriptions all fueled by pancreas punishing levels of caffeine and pixie stick consumption  leading to what will hopefully be a (flaming turd of a) 50,000 word novel. Yes, folks, it's almost time for NaNoWriMo, and, sicko that I am, I am psyched. As you can clearly deduce from this pre-NaNo pic.

I have been participating in NaNoWriMo for three years now. One year I flew entirely without benefit of a safety net and produced a novel of almost splendid horribleness, which I am finally (hopefully) ready to rework. Two of those years were utter duds due to forces beyond my control, but this year promises to be different. Because, ladies and gentlemen, I have a plan. Or at least most of a plan.

Holy. Shneikies.

About three months ago, Sunne, one of the members of the DeKalb chapter of NaNo, let me on to something called the snowflake method, which basically helps you grow your novel from the ground up and relatively painlessly. And it's been working surprisingly well so far. For the first time ever, I am feeling pretty well set up to tackle the marathon that is NaNo.

Yeah, I'm sure that feeling will be going away, too. But for right now I am feeling a refreshing, albeit guarded, optimism. Many thanks to Sunne. Now I'm off to walk the pooch.

2 comments:

  1. Popped over from the nano site. Seduced and drawn over by the name of your blog;-)

    Have a great month!

    go easy -p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pam! I hope your Nano journey goes well, too!

    ReplyDelete

So you want to put your two cents in? Bully for you.