Monday, November 5, 2012

Attack of the Killer Plot Bunnies

Day 5: Me at the Kishwaukee College Cafe

It's going well so far--this whole novel writing business. I am consistently hitting my word count goals and even exceeding them. None of my characters make me want to punch them in the face, and the plot is developing. But the first real challenge has arisen: Plot Bunnies. Plot bunnies are random ideas for stories that creep out of the wood work unbidden. They are particularly drawn to working writers. For those of you new Wrimos out there who are thinking of dropping your novel for one of those cute, big eyed little shits, I have one bit of advice: don't. Plot bunnies are assholes. They will sucker you in and leave you high, dry, and behind on your word count, until another one comes into view. The problem is that plot bunnies nag for attention like a four year old nagging for candy.

So the question remains, what to do with the plot bunnies? My response is to putter with them a bit in the notebook, to promise them some room in the limelight come December. It works for me, but I am interested in what works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So you want to put your two cents in? Bully for you.